• To record (activity, or a motion picture) on photographic film.
  • To visually record (activity, or a motion picture) in general, with or without sound.
  • To cover or become covered with a thin skin or pellicle.


Similar words


  • From Middle English filme, from Old English filmen, from Proto-Germanic *filminją (compare Proto-Germanic *felma-), from Proto-Indo-European, from *pel-. Cognate with Old Frisian filmene, Dutch vel, German Fell, Swedish fjäll, Norwegian fille, Lithuanian plėvē, Russian плева́, Ancient Greek πέλμα. More at fell. Sense of a thin coat of something is 1577, extended by 1845 to the coating of chemical gel on photographic plates. By 1895 this also meant the coating plus the paper or celluloid.

Modern English dictionary

Explore and search massive catalog of over 900,000 word meanings.

Word of the Day

Get a curated memorable word every day.

Challenge yourself

Level up your vocabulary by setting personal goals.

And much more

Try out Vedaist now.